Proposal For Membership
1. Candidates aged 19 years and over shall complete and sign a form of proposal for membership. Proposals for candidates aged 18 years or under require the signature of a parent or guardian which shall constitute consent to the child’s membership and acceptance of responsibility pursuant to Club Rules 18.9 and 29.4.
2. Candidates are asked to submit the following:
- Application Form
- A completed proposal form.
- A supporting letter from the Proposer.
- A supporting letter from the Seconder.
3. On receipt of this form duly completed, including supporting letters from the Proposer and Seconder, the application will initially be considered by the Vice Commodore’s Committee with the decision confirmed, or otherwise, by the General Committee. If the candidate has no proposer or seconder (probably because he/she are new to the area) then arrangements will be made for the candidate to visit the Club to meet two Flag Officers and/or members of the General Committee.
4. All new members shall pay their annual subscription by direct debit in accordance with the Rules. (Annual subscriptions can be made by quarterly payments, please ask the office for further details).
Membership application forms can be obtained from the Club office
Guidance Notes for Proposers and Seconders
Each proposal for membership as a Full Member, Junior Member and Overseas Member must be submitted on the specified form overleaf showing the candidate’s name and address, date of birth, profession or business, yachts owned and Clubs of which he or she is a Member. The Proposal Form shall be signed by the Proposer and the Seconder and shall be accompanied by supporting letters giving all material particulars as to their knowledge of the candidate. If the candidate does not have a Proposer and/or Seconder, the Secretary will arrange for the candidate to be interviewed by a Flag Officer.
The General Committee will not consider proposals for membership without this information.
The Proposer and Seconder must have been full Members of the RSYC for not less than two years and shall write to the Secretary to support this proposal amplifying the following points:
The number of years the candidate/s has/have been known to you.
Sailing experience - have you sailed with the candidate?
Present or former occupation of the candidate.
Any particular reasons for this candidate wishing to join the Club, e.g. racing, cruising, social activities.
Any particular skills, relevant interests, qualifications or associations which the candidate would bring to the Club, e.g. Race Officer, etc.
Any other relevant information as to the candidate’s suitability for membership.
In exceptional circumstances a letter of introduction from an appropriate club would be considered.
The Club does not have a probationary period for new members and it is therefore understood that both Proposers and Seconders should take responsibility for the introduction of those new members throughout the Club.